Think of it like a relay. One runner hands the baton off to the other and together they finish the race. Although there are huge expectations of the first runner to come out of the gate on fire, all the runners are important. That’s basically the role you play with your heating and cooling professionals.
When you hire a professional to service your heating and cooling system, safety is the most important benefit you receive when a certified technician takes over. However, as a homeowner, your responsibilities to maintain your system will boost the results of a professional service.
Servicing your furnace this winter is extremely important. Without regular maintenance your heating components wear out sooner which leads to breakdowns or even system failure. This can be avoided with regular tune-ups.
When you schedule your next tune-up here are several things to make sure your technician evaluates.
- Check the duct work for leaks and seal if necessary
- Test the air flow through the heating system and ducts
- Calibrate the thermostat
- Clean burners
- Check heat exchanger
- Verify vent system safety
- Check gas pressure
- Test for correct refrigerant charge and heat pump leaks
- Lubricate moving parts
- Check system controls to make sure cooling mode is locked out during heating mode
- Inspect motor belts and bearings
- Check electrical terminals
Throughout the year, your job as a homeowner is to:
- Change the air filter when it appears dingy or dirty
- Keep debris away from the outdoor unit, ensuring proper air flow
- Check that your indoor supply vents and return grills are unobstructed
If any of these areas get neglected, you risk system failure or even break down. The big difference is, with a cooling system the air just doesn’t cool. With a heating system or furnace, even if it is broken, it can continue to produce heat, even if the heat exchange is cracked or the flue is broken, still allowing deadly carbon monoxide fumes to enter your home.
Keeping the proper relay team in place working together, you can be very confident in extending the life of your heating and cooling system, achieving peak comfort and ensuring safe operation of your furnace this winter.